Popular Posts

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Turning Tables

Today was an interesting day. I was originally going to go on the George Trip to Arles and the Camargues but in the end, I didn't want to pay 25 euros just to visit the Camargues when I didn't know how long we would spend there (I've already been to Arles many times). But instead of that, I decided to take a walk around Aix and visit the Musee Granet and Eglise St. Jean de Malte.

The Musee Granet is mostly art and sculpture with a little archaeological finds. Some artists of renown that are housed at the Granet include Aix's own Cezanne, Piet Mondrian (one of my favorites), Giacometti, Picasso, Léger and Morandi. They also have Cezanne painting palette at the Granet. However the one discovery I made was the artist Granet himself. The museum is named after François-Marius Granet, an Aixois artist who studied in Paris, Rome, and London before returning to Aix. I really enjoyed his realistic paintings and impressionistic watercolors because of their diversity and focus on historical places I'd visited. It was really interesting to see landscapes and landmarks of Paris, Rome and Aix through the eyes of an artist from the late 1700s-early 1800s.

After visiting the museum, I went to the Eglise St. Jean de Malte which is right next door. It continually surprises me how immediately and wonderfully churches affect me. Stepping into a church feels like walking through a waterfall to peace. Which sounds extremely corny but that's exactly how I feel.

Since I had so much free time today, I decided I would stroll along Cours Mirabeau and splurge on a nutella gelato (be jealous! it was amazing). As I was walking along, I saw and heard this drum line performing near la Fontaine d'Eau Chaude. These amazing artists literally played for an hour or so, walking down Mirabeau, in 26 degree heat (Celsius), all for Amnesty International and its 50th anniversary. It was great fun and I ended up signing some petitions for AI which also felt great.

After a quick stop at Dia, I headed back to Cuques, content and full of serenity. Listening to this amazing song "Turning Tables" by Adele in Aix today really made me think and has inspired my blog title. What an amazing voice with so much feeling! I love her...we might actually be soulmates. :)


The point is that I've realized that many back home have really been missing me and I was feeling that everyone wanted me to cut my time here short. I was beginning to become really angry and bitter towards those who wanted me home for many reasons. 1) I adore Aix-en-Provence and Europe in general and never want to leave, 2) I felt selfish for staying and not coming home for everyone and 3) I don't know when I'll ever have this experience again and I want to make the most of every opportunity.

But now I think I understand more clearly how everyone was feeling and honestly, I feel better about coming home. I'm still staying until June 25 because I don't want to cut my time short but I'm becoming more and more accepting and receptive to the idea that I'll be returning to the States. While I love Aix and Europe and all of the amazing people here, I will return (that's a promise!) and I will learn to find the best things about Indiana and home. I will forever be different due to this experience and it's been one of the most amazing of my life but I can flourish anywhere. I will miss Aix deeply and always. But once this chapter ends, a new one can begin...one that may hold even greater treasures. And on that note, I believe I will go and continue to enjoy my life in Aix with a Kindle and my iPod dans le soleil.

À plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment